Spread the love



Failure to warm up proves costly.

I rolled into Cherry Creek at 8:AM on a cold Friday morning. I had five layers of coats, my toboggan, facemask and two hoods. I know how to handle cold weather Got out of the truck, set the Run Program on my Smart Phone, and took off on my morning two-mile brisk walk.

All professional runners and walkers see the first major mistake of the day. I did not warm up.  Everything is going on schedule. On the last 200 feet I am a few seconds slow. At the right angle turn I cut across the grass. My big body went sailing like a flying walrus, hit the concrete, bounced, and lay there spread eagle with the breath knocked out. I heard a runner say “You all right?” I will never know how she got me up, how I took the selfie, or drove home. God works in mysterious ways.

The rest of Friday was a blur.  Ann got the five lays off of me, called 911. She kept me from passing out while staying on her smartphone with the 911 operator. The firemen arrived and were attending to me and my vitals and Ann was still on the phone telling the operator they had arrived. The medics arrived, loaded me in the ambulance, and off to Momma Frances in Tyler. I informed them I felt better and was training for the Fresh 5K in Early March.

We arrived and I was with the emergency room doctor. The great staff were moving me from one cart to another, prodding and poking Somewhere in this great reception I got the gown that covers nothing, but still had my pants and red running shoes. I told everyone who was there I felt better and was sure I’d be home tonight, a little sore, but home.

My trauma doctor arrived. First item on the agenda was the Fresh 5. No.No.No. .  He would see me later after my body fed his team more data. Brain scans. chests scans, etc. I am in the top Trauma unit in Texas, and one of the top 10 in the USA. This intensive care staff is the best of the best. My Doc came into the room. He had been in surgery for seven hours. He laid it out. Busted ribs, the left lung had been punctured, but had a chance to fill back up without surgery. He was watching the latest feed from my body thru the computers.  It will take six to twelve weeks or more to get back to where I was at 8 a.m. this morning.

 99% of me being smart is knowing what I am dumb at. My responsibility is to take advice from those that are smarter than me.

These three days with my trauma team were a bit painful but a great positive experience. I would not have made it without Murphy. Ann I love you. I am better today than Yesterday. That is progress.